Friday, August 26, 2022

Why Teach?

    When I was in high school, I had a teacher that absolutely changed my perspective about school. He made me feel like he did not just come to school to teach us, but actually create a relationship with each of his students. He integrated outside world issues into class material that made it easier and more interesting to learn about the subjects. If any one of us was having a hard time he would make sure to pay us extra attention just to make sure we were doing alright. This teacher helped me apply to schools, and gave me advice on jobs and ended up helping me choose to work in a day care for most of my high school career. That push that he gave me made me want to pursue a career in teaching. I fell in love with all my kids and our day to day tasks. The way they soak up knowledge and ask questions, especially when they're younger, gave me a huge passion for being around kids as much as possible. There is no specific subject that comes to mind that I am particularly wanting to pursue which is why I felt elementary would be the best fit for me, especially because of the special bonds that can be formed when they are that young. Even now I have only worked in settings that include work with children. Right now that is at a summer camp/ after school care. Which has only reaffirmed my love for this major. 

    I have no preference to which grade in particular I teach, just that I would want elementary school. The most important thing to me is that my kids always feel welcome and that I can create a space that is fun and exciting, somewhere the kids actually want to get up in the morning and go to. However, during my career I would like to get the chance to work with all grade levels at some point. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Reagan! I relate to wanting to teach elementary students and what you said about forming special bonds with them and making learning as exciting and comfortable as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reagan,
    It was neat reading about the wonderful teacher who inspires you. It won't be an easy thing to create a place where kids are excited about coming to everyday, but is will definitely be DOABLE. Such is a stance that is worthy of having. Best wishes to you this semester!

    ReplyDelete

Why Teach?

    When I was in high school, I had a teacher that absolutely changed my perspective about school. He made me feel like he did not just com...